An interactive 3 hour workshop supporting practitioners to develop skills and confidence in using Signalong to support and enhance the communication development of young children.
Signalong is a key word sign-supported communication system, based on British sign language. It uses speech, sign, body language, facial expression and voice tone to reference the link between sign and word. This 3 hour workshop will support you in developing practical skills and techniques to enable you to sign a wide variety of everyday words using the Signalong approach. Included with the course is Trafford’s Introduction to Signalong manual, which is referred to throughout the session.
By the end of the course practitioners will:
- Understand the many benefits to sign-supported communication
- Understand the importance of sign placement and know what is meant by the signing window
- Have developed an awareness of what is involved in effective communication
- Can use a range of basic and additional hand shapes
- Know how to use name signing
- Have developed confidence in using the correct orientation and hands pointing direction when signing
- Understand that signs can move and/or be in formation
- Be able to produce a range of signed vocabulary by interpreting both a written description and visual image of the sign as per the manual.
- Understand how to implement sign within their settings
- Make an action plan for how use of Signalong can be embedded into the setting.
You will be charged 100% of the course cost seven days before the course start date. This is applicable for all courses.
If a setting is participating in the Giving Voice Award they must have a nominated person as their Communication Champion who has completed Bronze level before booking onto this course.
For information relating to the Giving Voice Recognition Award please refer to the FAQs
Free parking is available onsite. Refreshments will be provided
All Early Years Education and Childcare Practitioners