The aim of the course is for practitioners to understand the terminology used by speech and language therapists, how language evolves and the delays that can occur in its development.
This training must be attended if childminders wish to attend the Level 2 Intermediate/Advanced courses within the speech and language pathway.
The course includes interactive activities to explore various aspects of communication and designed to be an introduction for childminders of all levels
The course encourages participants to identify how their communication style impacts on the children they work with.
By the end of the course practitioners will:
- Understand what communication is and what is involved
- Understand the pyramid of language development
- Have considered the role of technology on language delay
- Recognise the importance of play in language development
- Be able to identify attention and listening skills and discover ways to help
- Understand comprehension development and how to help if children are struggling
- Understand the development of expressive language and how to help if children are struggling
- Understand children’s speech sound development and identify when to be concerned
- Be able to recognize when a bilingual child needs extra support
- Know how to access the Wellcomm pack in your local area
Free parking is available onsite - PLEASE NOTE: DO NOT PARK IN THE FIRST CAR PARK ON THE RIGHT AS THE BARRIERS WILL BE LOCKED AT 7PM. PLEASE USE ALTERNATIVE PARKING WHICH IS SIGNPOSTED WITHIN CARRINGTON BUSINESS PARK. Refreshments will be provided. Please note that non-attendance or cancellation within 5 working days of the start date of the course will incur a charge